The best cider mills in Michigan to visit in 2022! There are almost 150 cider mills scattered throughout the state, so debates about which is the best Michigan cider mill are argued across the state. When the leaves start to change I start thinking about all the delicious donuts being made and the crisp cider being pressed. The fall season in Michigan holds a special place in my heart. How could it not?
I look forward to the fall season for so many reasons. However, one, in particular, is my favorite. Over the years I have made my way through many of the best cider mills in Michigan so I could try all the freshly baked warm, soft, homemade cider mill donuts. My fingers always get covered in the donut’s delicious cinnamon sugar because they’re so messy, then I wash it down with a refreshing (or warming) cup of apple cider.
Here’s my list of the top 13 best cider mills in Michigan!
But first…What IS a cider mill?
To make the cider the apples are pressed, ground, and milled to make into delicious fresh apple cider. The “mill” is the equipment that is used to crush the apples and ferment them before the cider is stored and shipped as apple juice products. Cider mills can be found all across the state and other midwestern states in the USA that also grow apples.
All the best cider mills in Michigan sell apple cider and a variety of flavored donuts so you can taste the different types from each mill. Recipes are passed down from generation to generation so they each have their own version of the cider donut combo. Some have a shop inside where you can purchase a variety of apple and fall goods such as jams, pies, fresh fruits/veggies, wines, and more.
Here are 13 of the best cider Mills in Michigan!
Blakes Farm & Orchard
17985 Armada Center Rd, Armada, MI 48005
Blake’s Orchard & Cider Mill opened in 1946 as the first U-pick orchard in Michigan and was added to the list because of their hard ciders! Easily my favorite cider mill because of the delicious adult ciders. If you only pick one, I highly recommend you try Flannel Mouth because it’s my personal favorite.
The orchard offers fall activities for everyone when they visit making this the perfect family outing. The market offers fresh-pressed cider, donuts, and rooms full of homemade bakery items so take some time to wander around and shop. Hayrides go to the orchards so you can pick your own pumpkin or apples.
What is there to do at Blakes?
- Adult cider tastings, my favorite is Flannel Mouth. You can also get a cider flight and try multiple
- Shop local goods; homemade pies, baked goods, fresh apples pumpkins and gords, donuts, and more
- Go apple picking
- Take a hayride to pick your own pumpkin
- October there are haunted hayrides, a 3-story haunted barn, Spookyland, and… zombie paintball. You read that right.
- June Blakes hosts the annual Michigan Lavender Festival
- See more events at Blakes
4480 Orion Road, Rochester, MI 48306
Many of the best Michigan cider mills are historic with a rich history, so visitors get a look into the past. This mill is family-operated with a restaurant menu made from scratch, so you can have lunch there too. The mill is powered by the river, so It’s pretty cool to see the wheel outside as it spins the water to the mill. When you visit you can expect apple cider, warm cinnamon donuts & fresh locally made treats so you can take some home. Don’t forget to bring your bike, so you can work off all the cider and donuts as you ride down the paint creek trail.
Paint Creek is a local favorite because it is so easily accessible! The trail has a pull-off to the cider mill so we like to stop for treats along our ride. It runs from downtown Lake Orion to downtown Rochester so if you want to keep riding you can connect to the Clinton River trail. In 2021 the cider mill introduced new honey, syrups, and hemp-infused honey so you can try all the classic cider mill goodies that are sold. I like to walk along the scenic trail so I can find a spot on the river to enjoy my donuts. While you’re there, head over to Goodrich Cider Mill which is right across the street. You know… so you compare whose donuts are better.
Things to do
- Shop local goods; homemade pies, baked goods, fresh apples, caramel apples, honey, syrups, and hemp-infused honey
- Paint Creek Trail for walking or biking
- Walkable to Goodrich for cider & donut tastings and comparing who has the best cider/donuts.
- Full lunch/dinner menu
4295 Orion Road, Rochester, MI 48306
Just across the street from the Paint Creek Cider Mill is Goodison Cider Mill which is also accessible from the Paint Creek Trail. Goodison makes Pistachio nut bread that is world-famous so you know it’s good. They bake hundreds of loaves each year because it attracts customers from miles away. The cider mill is open from Labor Day until Christmas each year.
Yates CIDER MILL
1950 E Avon Rd, Rochester Hills, MI 48307
Yates (arguably one of the best cider mills in Michigan) is also located in Rochester Hills just down the road from Goodrich & Paint creek.
The cider mill has been water-powered from the Clinton river since 1863 and presses 300 gallons of fresh blended apple cider per hour.
Fresh handmade treats such as donuts, apple pies, cider, fudge, apple crisp, jams, and more are sold in addition to their cider and donuts. When it’s a nice day out, we like to ride our bikes from the Clinton River Trail which is just 2 miles away. Yates is one of the busiest cider mills in the Rochester area and parking can be a nightmare, so if you’re able – I would recommend biking there to avoid the hassle.
What to do at Yates
- Bike or walk the Clinton River Trail
- Download the Clinton River Trail Map Here
- Sit riverside and picnic with your cider & donuts
Parshallville CIDER MILL
Open Friday-Sunday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
November Hours: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Parshallville is also one of the best cider mills in Michigan. They pick their apples right from the orchard where they turn them into non-pasteurized apple cider it’s then bottled fresh off the press!
Treats at Parshallville
- Cinnamon sugar & plain donuts
- Apple cider served warm, cold, or slushi!
- Homemade apple pies
- Variety of heirloom apples
- Caramel apples are plain, nutty, and sprinkled
- Crisp “Caramel chips” are apple wedges in a warm pool of caramel
- Local honey
- Watch the donuts being made on the mill
5565 Merritt Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Wiard’s was founded in 1837 which was also the same year Michigan became a state. They started making their donuts in 1964, since then they have made over 15,665,600 donuts! The cider mill was also the first orchard in the US to add haunted Halloween attractions. Haunted fun then caught on and continues to grow more and more popular each year.
What is there to do at Wiard’s Orchard
- Haunted Thrills Park
- Visit the country store and pick up some treats
- U-pick apples and pumpkins
- Country Fair: Corn maze, old west wagon rides
- Fort Wiard mini golf
- Straw stack, pappy apple, kid’s kingdom, li’l folks children playgrounds
- Splattertown paintball
- Get your Country Fair tickets here
7450 Franklin Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301
Franklin first opened as a grist mill in 1837 and was added to the top best cider mills in Michigan list because of its special donuts! The Michigan cider mill has been pressing apples into cider since 1895, and today, all 21 varieties of apples used are hand-picked fresh, and 100 percent organic. The mill sells its honey crisp apple cider in September, so that is what I look forward to each year. It’s so fresh and I highly recommend you try it with your donuts.
We enjoy shopping at the farmer’s market so we can bring home apple pie, way too many donuts, and other fall treats. Cinnamon spice donuts they make are unique to Franklin so if you do a donut tasting from others and you’ll be able to tell the difference. The mill is just minutes away from Cranbrook Botanical Gardens, so take your treats to the garden and find a nice place to picnic!
61475 Silver Lake Rd, South Lyon, MI 48178
Things to do at Erwin Orchards
- U-Pick apples & pumpkins
- Cooking with Linda- Erwin has a list of delicious recipes for U-pick apples! Check them out HERE.
- Corn Maze
- Seasonal U-pick – red and yellow raspberry patch
Saturdays and/or Sundays only:
- Mr. Bee’s Big 3-D Adventure – walk through and view the bright, colorful, whimsical, 3-D attraction
- Farmer Bill’s Target Paintball
- Carousel Acres Petting Farm
- Mystic Kettle – kettle corn popped fresh on site.
- Got You Covered Photo Booth
Spicers Orchard & Winery
10411 Clyde Rd, Fenton, MI 48430
When you visit Spicer’s you’ll find fall fun for everyone! Another of Michigan’s best, Spicers was built in 1928 so the family could survive the Great Depression and WWII. They would take the different fruits from the original farm in Novi and then take them over to Detroit’s Eastern Market. Recently built is a new wine tasting building on site so you can try the different hard ciders and fruit wines crafted from the orchard’s harvest.
Things to do at Spicers
- Wagon rides to U-pick apples & pumpkins
- Tractor Trivia Corn Maze
- Baked treats & goods shop
- Farmer’s Market
3685 Central St, Dexter, MI 48130
Dexter Cider Mill is the oldest operating mill in the state so it’s full of history. To make the apple cider an oak rack press older than 120 years old blends three to five locally grown apple varieties.
714 Baseline Rd, Northville, MI 48167
HOURS: Aug 28- Nov 21
RESTAURANT FALL HOURS: Wednesday thru Friday 3-11 pm
Every Day 10am – 8pm CLOSED Monday & Tuesday
Shop Goods & Products
- Fresh Donuts & Apple Cider
- Apple Cider Slush
- Warm Apple Pie
- Pumpkin & Apple Butter
- Donut Chips
- Caramel Apples
- Fresh Fudge
- Michigan Jams, Honey, Maple Syrup
Things to do
- Winery & Brewery – All hard ciders, beers, and wines are made on-site.
- Watch the cider being pressed
- Visit the Nut Hut for candied cinnamon roasted almonds
- Chow Mill – serves hot dogs & kielbasa
- Live music & food trucks
Long Family Orchard
1540 East Commerce Rd. Commerce, MI 48382
Things to do at Long Family Orchard, one of Michigan’s best
- Moonlight corn maze, straw tunnels, corn bounce
- 2 Giant jumping pillows, ball zone
- Giant slide, pedal kart track
- Little/big sandbox, large play structures
- Tube swing, spider web, goat farm
- Apple & pumpkin cannons + U-pick
1965 Farnsworth Rd, Lapeer, MI 48446
Past Tense is a great day trip, especially if you like shopping! Visit the country store so you can buy home decor, flowers, holiday decorations, and other souvenirs. Cider Mill Restaurant has a full menu where they also sell classic cider and donuts. When you visit try their award-winning honey crisp apple cider (my favorite). You can see the difference between them in the center photo as the honey crisp is brighter/lighter colored in contrast to the traditional cider.
Professionally Edit Your Vacation Photos
While you enjoy your perfect weekend vacation, be sure to take photos of your trip! You can edit your photos instantly with these one-click Lightroom Preset Collections.
Amazing Fall Color Drives in Michigan
Looking for more to do in Michigan this fall? Check out my post on where the best scenic fall foliage drives are in Michigan